In January 2015, Citizenship and Immigration Canada launched Express Entry – a new electronic application management system that helps select highly-skilled foreign workers who have the attributes and talent that Canada needs. Express Entry applies to the following key economic immigration programs: Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and a portion of the Provincial Nominee Program. Skilled foreign workers who apply for permanent residence through Express Entry will have their applications processed in six months or less.
Business owners in Ontario and across Canada who are unable to find a Canadian or permanent resident to fill available positions can use Express Entry to hire a skilled foreign worker quicker than ever before.
Benefits of Express Entry
• Employers in Canada now have a direct role in recruiting economic immigrants with Express Entry.
• Employment and Social Development Canada’s recently modernized Job Bank helps Express Entry candidates connect with Canadian employers.
• Express Entry candidates can also promote themselves to recruiters and consult private sector job boards to find job opportunities.
How Express Entry works
The process is quite simple:
1. A potential candidate completes an online Express Entry profile. If they meet the criteria of the FSWP, FSTP or CEC, they will be placed in a pool.
2. Candidates in the pool will be given a score reflecting their skills, work experience, education and other factors we know help immigrants prosper once in Canada. Candidates with the highest scores will be issued an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence when they have a valid job offer from an employer; in Canada; have a nomination from a province or territory; or, are among the top-ranked candidates in the pool.
Visit the Express Entry website for additional information.
Free services to help you with hiring staff and an array of other business topics such as business planning, access to information on financing, are offered through Canada Business Ontario (CBO). Call them at 1-888-576-4444 / TTY1-800-457-8466 or visit canadabusiness.gc.ca.
CBO is a service provided through the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario). For further information on federal economic development programs and services for southern Ontario please visit, FedDevOntario.gc.ca, or contact them by email at info@FedDevOntario.gc.ca or call toll free, 1-866-593-5505.